Ebony // Natural Hair Style Icon

Avatar • Dec 19, 2009

Where are you from?
E:
Originally I’m from Los Angeles, but I reside in Georgia. I’m a realtor and a jewelry designer.

When did you go natural?
E:
The first time I went natural was in 2001 (couldn’t stand the in between phase so I relaxed again). The next and final time was 2005. There were a couple reasons—I LOVED the freedom women seemed to have, I wanted to know what it was like, and I felt it was a form of worship to God. I wanted to let him know that I love the way He made me.

Was it difficult at all?
E:
The first time (2001) wasn’t difficult at first because I cut it very short–almost no transitioning time. It was low maintenance. The next time was little more difficult because I transitioned for a year and once I did the big chop, I was SO lost and so hurt at the same time. I had to make myself learn how to do my hair in it’s natural state.

Some of my family and friends were shocked—couldn’t believe I cut it, and some were like, “YEAH! do your thing.” LOL. Best of all, I inspired a few others to make that change. I love that God took the time to create each coil and I want to show appreciation and I love the versatility, the way it feels to be FREE from bondage…meaning I was once a slave to the relaxer.

Have you had any difficulties wearing your hair natural at work?
E:
Not at ALL… I work in a predominantly Caucasian environment and my co-workers actually love my “squiggly” hair and don’t understand why “WE” ever put chemicals in our hair.

What are you passionate about, aside from natural hair?
E:
I’m passionate about art, inspiring people, and helping to bring out the best in everyone. I wish black women would all come to know total freedom and that they’d recognize the beauty in the way God designed them. Some will say, “My hair’s too nappy for that.” My solution to that: LOC it up! LOL… But be YOU!

What style do you like to rock?
E:
My favorite style, hands downs—-two strand twists (since my hair is so long now I rarely take the time to do them)

1. Shampoo roots only with a low/no sulfates shampoo (my favorite is Smooth as Silk Deep Moisturizing shampoo by Giovanni)

2. Deep Condition hair, starting about 1/2 inch away from you scalp, with your favorite moisturizing conditioner (mine is Nexxus Humectress). Let it sit for about 30–45 minutes. 3. Part hair in as many sections as needed (I usually do about 8 because of the length). 4. Detangle with a Denman brush. I like it better than a wide toothed comb, as it detangles more strands at time than the comb. I don’t rinse the conditioner out because the amount that would’ve been rinsed out comes out in my brush.

5. Loosely twist each section once detangled.

6. Once it’s dried a little, Un-do the section you’d like to start with. Take 1/2 to 3/4 inch sections, divide it in half and start twisting from the root to the end. Repeat until it’s finished! (If I want a neat look, I part it with a comb, but usually I part with my fingers.) Always keep a spray bottle with water close by and in case your hair starts to get too dry, mist it a little.

*Hint* If I’m on the right side of my head, I twist to the left, and if I’m on the left side, I twist to the right.

What do you use in your hair?
E:
Style products are kept to a minimum. I sometimes leave a little conditioner in my hair before styling. Other times I use raw shea butter or virgin coconut oil.

If your hair had a nickname, what would it be?
E:
CHAMELEON, because it changes all the time

*Since doing this interview Ebony has updated her regimen. Click for her updated routine.*

PreciousDST
PreciousDST

I used to fotki stalk this lovely natutal, then she went on a hiatus! I’m so glad to see her progress and that she’s still natural. Her hair is an inspiration to me. Looking forward to more length to do some of the style!!! Thanks for sharing!

TheAmazon
TheAmazon

Perhaps I’m being a bit to touch, but the , “lock it up” comment really irked me.

I dunno, as a sister with 4‑C hair it get easily frustrated at my hair, and at other naturals that seem to have it easier because of their looser curl pattern…

*le sigh*

back to your regularly scheduled programming

TheAmazon
TheAmazon

I also can’t spell this morning ” a bit too touchy” was what I was supposed to type.

b.
b.

Squiggly! Love it 😀 Thanks for your profile and thanks a BUNCH for saying what you said about glorifying God. I agree (although everyone may not) that in our own small way we tell God “Yay…you did a great job making me this way and I refuse to be ashamed…” IMO, it’s one thing to *choose* straightening, but it’s another thing to have disdain for the way we are created.

I mostly co-wash, but I think I’ll try that Smooth as Silk Giovanni shampoo b/c I *love* their 50:50. Beautiful hair!

Toya
Toya

I absolutely love her hair! I have the same hair texture but can’t figure out how to pull off a wash n go…can you ask her what products she uses for her wash n go?

MsLizzia

Her hair is beautiful! Its so funny though about the “Squiggly” hair comment.lol

Nika

wow, such beautiful hair

Nikki

Wow! She’s gorgeous and her hair is beautiful. Kind of reminds me of my daughters hair. 🙂

sydney

i agree with TheAmazon. i thought the whole idea was to get past the “too nappy” thing. saying that someone should loc their hair if it’s “too nappy” to wear any other way, is almost just as bad as the good hair/bad hair thing…idk. maybe i’m a little sensitive too lol.

Ms. Bar B

Wow! Love her confidence and style. Beautiful. She is totally rocking that fro =). I don’t really think that she was trying to be condescending with her “loc it up” comment, but rather trying to encourage women of all hair textures to truly explore different styles before just giving up on their hair. No matter how “nappy” your hair is, its still beautiful!!!! Most likely, you just haven’t found the right products to use in it yet and the right techniques for caring for it to make it do what you want it to do. My little girl has about… Read more »

Amma Mama
Amma Mama

VerY Beautiful and I love your twists!

Omyra
Omyra

I think the girl meant that some people tell her their hair is too ‘nappy’ to be natural which is a tired excuse from those who should just admit they prefer their hair straight. It seemed she was just joking on the lock comment to me. I think some people on this site are far too sensitive to other people’s thought and opinions.

Ashli

Love the HAIR!!!! and your story. I wish I had enough patience to have transitioned for a year. The main probably I am having (let me know if anyone HAS/ IS HAVING this problem) the back part of my hair is growing rather slower then the front … i dont wear head bands alot, but i dont sleep with anything on my head ( i know, i know ) bad of me, but it makes my scalp itch like CRAZY!!

uywnmgxfgwu
Reply to  Ashli

6OF65D fjqnzepjkxwo

chrissystina

I agree with Omyra’s comment.

Ebony

Thank you ALL so much for your responses and open minds.

Aisha
Aisha

Wow, great hair!

Courtney
Courtney

I too see going natural as a spirtual experience. As a way of praising God and being thankful for how he made us! I think about that as well and actually feel that that may be the main reason why I want to go natural to embrace how he created me!

chocolatebuddafly
chocolatebuddafly

Love Love your Hair.….Simply Gorgeous .…from one Cali girl to another, although I live in the South too now (Texas).

Roni
Roni

What product does this young lady use for her hair?

CMhennaLUV
CMhennaLUV

TO GOD BE THE GLORY !!!!!

mizzc
mizzc

i dont think she meant anything negative by saying “loc it up”.…I think that was just for people who May feel like their hair is too “nappy” to rock it natural.…btw in my eyes their is no “too nappy” BUT i have even ran across people who have told me that they would never go natural for the fear of their hair being nappy…their words NOT mine…so i think she was just saying if thats your issue dont let that stop you just “loc it up” thats all.…but her hair is beautiful and she is right be proud of what… Read more »

hairstylesmu

I think ebony is amazing with that hairstyles.. What a beautiful woman!