1966 Ebony Magazine article on the growing natural hair trend

Avatar • Dec 4, 2009

BGLH will be teaming up with Rebecca of the amazing vintage blog, B. Vikki Vintage, to provide snapshots of natural hair and Black hair culture in previous decades. Rebecca will be guiding us through these photos, but if you want to submit your own vintage natural pics email blackgirllonghair@gmail.com.
1966a

1966b

1966c

1966d

1966e

B. Vikki Vintage features advertising campaigns and fashion editorials from Black/African-American publications, video clips and found photographs featuring people of color from the 1950s-1960s, as well as product descriptions and pictures of vintage pieces.

Also be sure to check out the B. Vikki Vintage shop for vintage attire.

Krystal

What’s old is new again. Fascinating article. Thanks for posting it.

NappurallyHappy
NappurallyHappy

We went from this to permed-died-and-fried and weave-till-you-die. Who’s to say what we’re seeing now isn’t also a trend that will pass in a few years?

NappurallyHappy
NappurallyHappy

Then again, we know more now about what’s in the products we were so happily using and we have so many more resources and style options. Maybe that’ll make the difference now.

fashionablynappy.com

I love these vintage posts, keep them coming. I agree with Black Girl With Long Hair, what happened, how did we go so far backward after making such huge progress?

Nika

such beautiful pictures

Amma Mama
Amma Mama

These women are FLY! and I love those tie up sandals, seXy!

DreB
DreB

Great pics! I would love to see an article about how many Black women are wearing their hair natural in the workplace today. It’s so discouraging when I hear ppl at my job tell me that it’s unprofessional to wear my hair natural and that I should straighten it when in the office.

VanB

I agree. This article is wonderful, and if someone told me it was written last month, I would have believed them. It addresses the same issues, problems, and dilemmas that African American women are faced with in the present day. Although it seems that we have taken a step back in terms of wearing “natural” hair, it was still an uplifting and thought provoking article.

Afrodite
Afrodite

Thank you for this wonderful post!

Its sad (and I know we all would agree) that after forty years after this article was published the same issues these lovely ladies dealt with are still being faced today.

Still I look at this as inspiration to continue on our natural journeys and realizing the beautiful diversity that we as black women have.

Aisha
Aisha

Wow, if you replace the word “Negro” with “Black,” this article could have been written today. I’d love to know what happened so we could avoid repeating the same mistakes. This time I want natural hair to stick around for good.

Nottrynabeblind
Nottrynabeblind

PLEASE POST AS A PDF SO WE CAN ZOOM AND ACTUALLY READ THIS ARTICLE. OKTHANXBAI.

Asia

This is so awesome. I really needed to see this.

LBell
LBell

What “happened” was what was destined to happen: 20+ generations of self-hate wasn’t going to be turned around in 1 generation. Natural hair lasted approximately 1 generation (15 years) and then we went back to the status quo. This time around natural hair has a chance to last a little bit longer because the reasoning for it is more organic than it was in the 1960s: A lot of black women just got sick and tired of the crack and realized that, by giving it up, not only did the world not end, (certain) people actually applauded and appreciated it.… Read more »

Nicole
Nicole

Great article. I don’t know if I’m happy or sad that we’re still having this conversation.

Tiffany

Very nice.

Yoshi3329
Yoshi3329

I love this vintage series! It’s so sad and true. I think this natural “fade” is going to stay mainly because we know more and the style are so much more vast than ever before!

trackback

Social comments and analytics for this post…

This post was mentioned on Twitter by Black Girl Long Hair: vintage natural: 1966 ebony magazine article on the growing #naturalhair trend. http://tinyurl.com/yzh4fnk

kneipha
kneipha

My grandmother who is 85 has never processed her hair. I always wondered why, I think I will ask her when I next speak to her. I think some women just managed to keep it going while others gave up. I also do not think it particularly died I just think we are becoming dominant as a people. I am also very aware of the fact that there are those among us who think natural hair is totally unacceptable for a black woman. I work in a area that is dominated by whites and whereas they totally love my locked… Read more »

nikki
nikki
Reply to  kneipha

It is so sad how it seems that people of other races are more accepting of our natural hair than we are. I always get tons of compliments from whites, especially the men. Mind you, I have been natural for almost 10 years because I love my hair, not to appeal to anyone else. The different reactions is just something I have always noticed.

Monique

Great article, I had to zoom A LOT in to read it, lol. Did anyone notice that ALL of the women are rocking TWAs or a slightly larger/shaped version of the style? Also, it’s interesting that most of the women appear to be in the 4b hair category. Natural hair in the 60’s was linked to more than style — it was a sort of political statement. I see very few 4bers wearing their hair natural today. I believe many women today would relax/straighten their hair if they were limited to the styles shown above. Now, I think natural hair is… Read more »

Tonia
Tonia

Love vintage articles! That sista in the blue dress was rocking those sandals!!!

Allie
Allie

If we could only go back to that! Afro-Nation!

ranuka
ranuka

For a while I thought I had made a mistake and was reading something current. Then I realized this was back in the 60’s. Very interesting reading. The reactions are the same, the attitudes, the responses to “natural hair” by people. Everything. I guess that the only thing that changed is the time period. Wow!

BeholdALady

Those who don’t know history are doomed to repeat it.”

TransitionGirl
TransitionGirl

The time is now for all of us Beautiful Black Women to go back to sophisticated afro look. I am sure that if Madame CJ Walker and all of the other pioneers to the hair movement knew the damage that relaxing the hair does I am sure they would never have invented it. It is funny how now that I am transitioning back to normal, a lot of women out there are still walkng around with a half decent weave or receding hairlines instead of foregoing all of the relaxers and take pride in their hair.

kb1908
kb1908

This was a good article thanks for sharing it 🙂

juanita617
juanita617

This article concerns me because its like we’re starting all over. It scares me because it makes it seem like we’ll just go to the next thing whenever something else becomes the new trend. I’m transitioning for a reason other than fashion. It’s so my daughter can grow up with her kinks and be proud of herself. I don’t want her to envy straight hair. I’m just hoping seeing kinky hair becomes so normal to her that it won’t faze her a bit. She’ll be 2 this summer and I’m practicing everything I learn from this site and. YouTube on… Read more »