Erica // Natural Hair Style Icon

Avatar • Nov 20, 2009

Where are you from?
E:
I am from Greensboro, North Carolina but I have lived in Atlanta for the past three years. I am a behavioral clinical specialist. I work in a home-based language with autistic children between 2 and 18, teaching them communication skills and behavior management.

When did you go natural?
E:
I started growing out my relaxer during the summer of 2005. It started as an experiment. I had micro-braids at the time. During that time I started paying more attention to my baby pictures and wondered if I could recapture those same curls if I grew out my relaxer, plus, after I took my braids out, I really did not want to get another relaxer. It took about two years and although there were many times I wanted to give up I am very happy I didn’t.

My hair grows faster and is more healthy and I have tons more styling options. I also feel that my natural hair exemplifies my personality more so than relaxed hair. Even now when I wear my hair straightened, I don’t really feel like myself.

What style do you love to rock?
E:
My favorite style is what I like to call a curly fro. I can wear a smaller more tame version for work, but on the weekends, I try to make it as big as possible. Recently, I have been pinning back one side. Its almost like a mo-hawk but not quite.

How do you do it?
E:
I wash my hair with Deva Curl No Poo shampoo then use Aussie Three Minute Miracle. I comb this through my hair and let it sit in my hair for a few minutes. Next, I rinse it out and add a little more that I will leave in. Then, I add Miss Jessie’s Curly Meringue. I use very little of this product when my hair is soaking wet. I take a small amount out of the jar and apply it all over using my finger tips and kind of combing it through with my fingers. I try not to touch it too much because that can lead to frizziness.

I spray some Carol’s Daughter Khoret Amen leave in conditioner all over, then I let my hair air dry for about 10–15 minutes. Then I blow dry. While blow drying, I add Carol’s Daughter Lisa’s Hair Elixir (this is also great for hot oil/deep conditioning.) I also add Carol’s Daughter Hair Milk. Once my hair is dry I will wear it as is, or pin one side back with bobby pins or a fancy comb.

Nla
Nla

I luv you hair

Izzy

She has some gorgeous hair. And I love her line of work — it’s what I’d like to do!

sewdope
sewdope

your hair rocks erica!

Nikki

gorgeous!

Amma Mama
Amma Mama

LOVELY!!!

Erica

Thanks for the love everyone!

trackback

Social comments and analytics for this post…

This post was mentioned on Twitter by etjames223: I’m a stlye icon? The ladies at bghlonline.com think so. Check me out!! http://bglhonline.com/2009/11/style-icon-erica-with-tutorial/.…

M
M

She’s killing it in the last pic! Note to self: must take sexy fro’d-out shot by the window, LMAO.

Erica

Lol, that is hilarious. Thank you!

Nicole
Nicole

Absolutely Beautiful as usual!

Jasmine
Jasmine

I love your hair and I will be tryn it very soon

M.J.
M.J.

looooove the hair. Gorgeous!
and you’re stunning!

Miss Journey

I’m loving her hair!

Monica
Monica

I”m so grateful you shared this tutorial. I do have a question. When you blow dry your hair, do you use a diffuser?

Courtney
Courtney

I’m from Greensboro too!!!! Lol! And her hair is gorgeous!

Shernita
Shernita

Erica, I love your hair. I moved to Atlanta from Greensboro too but I’m from Chapel Hill. I too work wih Autistic children. I’m a teacher though. My you can share some of your tricks! LOL.

Peyton
Peyton

I absolutely LOVE your hair…You have truly just inspired me to do the same. I have been a weave/braid/perm addict for years. Paying money to purchase what already exists, not saying its gonna be easy but I’ll certainly give it a try. Now don’t get me wrong I’m not leaving my weaves alone just yet but I will definately walk away from perms till I get to where I want to be. Thank you…

Erica

@ Monica, I do not use a diffuser, when I have tried a diffuser in the past, it tended to make may hair draw up and make my curls more tight than I like them. I use what I like to call a barber blow dryer, or a male blow dryer. It does not have a long nozzle. You can get them from any beauty supply store!

@ Peyton, you don’t have to leave your weaves alone, they make acutally make the transition processes easier for you!

Thanks again for the love

chyri
chyri

I love the look and have tried to obtain this style; with the use of twist and perm rods.
:: U R Rocking the Style::

Stefanie
Stefanie

Wow, Erica and her hair are just gorgeous. ATL representin’! LOL!!!

Deola
Deola

Wow! I thought that was you. Great to see you again Erica. We went to college and had a lot of the same pscyh classes together (I played VB). I’m natural too coming up 3 yrs. You look gorgeous. Go fig we’d be following the same blog. It seems that you’ve captured the group’s interest. So please submit again!
@BGLH: yeah blowing is a great way to get that extra bigness. I want my hair so big that it gets in people’s way (lol!)

Thamar

Beautiful Hair, question for you would you consider your hair to be course or curly and kinky?

Trice
Trice

Erica I absolutely love your hair. I currently have have a short hair cut. I am wanting to no go relaxer free. I was thinking I would get some microbraids to grow my hair out a little and then get the perm cut out. Do you think this is a good idea? When you say it took 2 years what are you speaking of? What products did you use through the transition phase? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Erica

@Thamar, I consider my hair a mixture of curly and kinky. @Trice, if you can avoid mircorbraids, I would. When I got the braids, I was not planning to go natural after they were taken out. That was a decision I made while I had the braids in. The braids did not damage my hair at all and they were for fun and low maintenance, but I think if you have the chance to grow out your relaxer without braids or weave, it means so much more in the end. I feel like I learned alot about myself during the transition… Read more »

Erica

Hi!!!!! How are you???? Are you on facebook???? Im going to look you up!!! It’s great hearing from you!!!!

chrissystina

Wow, she is so pretty! I used to use the same Aussie product, but beware! It dried me ends out, but I didn’t notice the damaged edges until I flat-ironed my hair;-(

Howver, it made detangling a DREAM

Erica (different)
Erica (different)

We Erica’s do it best 🙂
I’ve been natural for… 9 months !

Meisha

Your hair and overall style is so dope…
How did you get your hair to grow so fast and so big?

Erica

@Meisha Thanks! I’m not really sure about what make hair grow but really I just listen to my hair. During the week, I mostly wear it back because I work with children. But I make sure that its not too tight. I also make sure it is really moiturized. As soon as I get home I take it down and let it flow everywhere. I also try not brush it or comb it. I only come it when I have conditioner in it in the shower. On the weekends, when I wear it out, I follow the tutorial that I… Read more »