Rollersetting/wetsetting natural hair

Avatar • Nov 5, 2009

Roller setting is typically done on permed/straight hair, but it can also be done on natural hair! J breaks it down in this tutorial.

mepat905-vi
I wanted to get my hair roller set. I went to a hairdresser nearby and she was apprehensive but said she would do it then she started making comments about how my hair wouldn’t hang like hers. I kept explaining to her that I did not want my hair bone straight but she just didn’t get it. To make a long story short I left before she even started then I went home and did it myself.

Products to set the hair: Fantasia IC leave-in treatment and Fantasia IC straightening gel

First wash and deep condition the hair. Apply generous amount of leave-in treatment using a large tooth comb and detangle well. Section off the hair by parting a large column in the middle of head. Hold the sides back with clips.

Starting in the middle, section off as you move down the column. Grab hair to be put on the roller and make it smooth using gel and brushing several times with boar bristle brush. Hold hair very taut and wrap around roller. When the middle column is finished start on each side and follow the same pattern.

Picture072-vi
After the hair is set on rollers sit under dryer until dry (I use the bonnet dryer — dry time 1 hour). Take out rollers and spray with oil sheen (I use motions rosemary oil sheen). This is the finished product. I went back to show that hairdresser what I had done and that you CAN roller set natural hair. It just takes patience and a desire to do it.

Picture087-vi
Picture080-vi

Picture022-vi

Here’s another roller set pic from the BGLH archives…

April15010-vi

Check out the full post——–> here

Have you attempted a roller set? What are your steps? Feel free to submit photos of your roller set/wet set results to blackgirllonghair@gmail.com.

J is on a one-month trip to India so she won’t be able to answer questions immediately. But please leave your thoughts!

***
Want more styling talk? Check out the BGLH forum HERE.

Brit
Brit

i’m so glad she went back and showed that hairdresser! those chicks [and dudes] be on that stuff sometimes. i mean if you’re a stylist for BLACK people, shouldn’t you know the techniques to do all BLACK hair?

BajanPrincess82
BajanPrincess82

I sooooo want to do this buy my laziness just won’t let me!!

S23
S23

The rollersets on both ladies are pretty! Makes me want to go do one.

thelady
thelady

How can the stylist not know how to roller set natural hair? When I was a little girl my mom would roller set my head full of type 4 coils all the time.

NapturallyHappy
NapturallyHappy

Love this. Trying it this weekend.

Ashley

Dannnggg. That looks GREAT! Can’t wait to try when my hair gets longer

ThinkandGrowChick

This is so cute. Maybe this is how Tracee Ellis Ross gets those big, retro, fluffy curls she does sometimes. I can’t way to try this!

Gem
Gem

I would looooove to try this, but I’m so basic when it comes to hair. I wouldn’t know what to do after the rollers are out. Wear it down? Wouldn’t it be too “bumpy” at the top/roots? I need a breakdown for the style-challenged, lol.

Krystal

This is perfect! I have been wanting to try a roller set and even bought some rollers last week. Now I will give it a go!

Keyona Shears

Yes you must have a desire to take the time to do it!

Jc
Jc

@Gem — You can

1. Run your fingers through and separate each curl into 3–4 pieces depending on how much body you want (tesult looks like a bantu knot out — top pic in this post)
2. Lightly comb through your hair to give it an s shaped wave instead of a curl (Result looks like 5th pic in this post)

In my experience, the curlier your hair, the more patient you have to be about sectioning in small parts and ensuring that you do pull the hair taut (not painfully, just make sure it is actually rolling on straight).

Hope this helps!

luminouz_flame
luminouz_flame

I have rollers and have wanted to try this but I needed detailed instructions. Thanks J!

Jen
Jen

I love how her hair looks. Can someone please tell me what hair color she has in. Im determined to get that color in my hair

Gem
Gem

JC that does help a bit, I really like J in the first picture. I still need more details though, lol!

Broadbandette
Broadbandette

I love the look of roller sets on natural hair, the volume, the bounce. It’s unmistakable, really. It’s just another thing that makes our hair unique. Great styles. Thanks for the tutorial. I can’t wait to try this when my hair gets longer.

mlm
mlm

the last picture is hot. that is a very fly look.

Mimi
Mimi

Great!

Rona Lisa
Rona Lisa

I too would love to know what hair color and brand that is.

Miss London
Miss London

I have always been natural and love this website!!! I often wear kinky twist or long long Pocahontis braids in the winter months!
BUT I really want to try this with my hair since its summer, but both the ladies look as though their hair is quite long past the shoulders. Also the hair looks like it has been blow dried or is slightly straightened already? Maybe I can try smaller rollers? Suggestions please my hair is should neck length when straightened.
Also where to I find out what my hair type is when it is natural?

Morgy
Morgy

I love that look so many times i’ve had hair dressers tell me they couln’t wet set my hair bc it’s natural and i’m like i dn’t want my hair to be straight, that defeats the purpose of being natural!

Jaki
Jaki

@ MissLondon the key is pulling it very taunt to get that tension.

Raquel
Raquel

I really like this hairstyle and I’m happy too that you went back to show the hair dresser. What did she say or what was her reaction? She probably either still wasn’t satisfied with the look or gave you a back handed compliment. I hope it was neither one of those and that she actually took a lesson well taught and use it to her advantage the next time some natuaral hair comes her way. No offense to her…after all natural hair isn’t for everyone but still… respect it.This makes me want to take this weave out today!LOL Usually when… Read more »

Latisha
Latisha

This is an interesting technique! Think I will try it with smaller rollers though