BelleMuse’s simple growth regimen

Avatar • Nov 12, 2009

BelleMuse was featured as a style icon in May 2009 and her hair has grown a TON since then. We caught up with her to get her simple regimen.

WILLIAMS4-vi
Bellemuse’s growth regimen
1. During the week I mostly wear box braids and on the weekends braid outs. I rarely do twists because I can’t really rinse my hair daily when it’s twisted because it’ll lock, and twist outs don’t look all that great with my texture.
2. My products are Castor Oil, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Coconut oil, Alma Oil, Apple Cider Vinegar, Suave Humectant conditioner, Glycerin and baking soda to exfoliate and cleanse my scalp.
3. I henna once every summer.
4. I baggy my hair whenever possible which is almost everyday. I think this is the most important thing that has helped me retain length.
5. Alma oil — mixed in with Suave Humectant Conditioner — helps reduce my tangles.
6. I removed cholesterol conditioner because it left residue on my scalp and as my hair grows longer it’s harder to rinse out.

Bellemuse’s baggy tutorial
1. I buy a roll of plastic saran wrap from the dollar store.
2. I mist my hair with a homemade mix: 25% castor oil & glycerin and 75% water
3. I wrap the saran wrap around my head like a scarf.

nhy006-vi
4. I now use saran wrap instead of the beauty store plastic caps because all my hair no longer fits into the beauty store caps. Also the saran wrap is cheaper 🙂
5. Before bed I remove the plastic and put on my silk scarf 6. In the morning while in the shower I rinse my hair with plain water.

Belle Muse is on Fotki. Check her out HERE.

***
BGLH now has a forum! Check it out HERE.

jadedpoet
jadedpoet

This might actually cut down on the shea residue I have left over in my hair! I like the idea of using a watery mix to baggy with! I want to do this method more to give my hair a shine and leave it less ashy LOL. *possibly less oiy too >_>*

I love bellemuse she’s such a cool sweet chic!!

I don’t have castor oil but I do have coconut oil and jojoba oil *i’ll use one not both oils* also glycerin and water is always around… unless I forget to pay the bill LOL

Great post and advice!

Moni
Moni

Great hair! Can you post her exact regimen (ie, exactly when and how she uses each product)? I’m a fellow Michigan natural who is trying to simplify my regimen as much as possible. I love the idea of baggying when I’m just sitting around the house, as I get too cold when I baggy overnight here.

Alice

How does she dry her hair between baggy-ing and putting on her scarf before bed? I have yet to find a way to keep my hair from soaking through a pillow if I do that!

Msnappy
Msnappy

Yes, plz give more detail for baggying. How does she do it daily? Does she work from home? I would love to incorpoarate this method into my regime. Thx

Ashley

Her hair is so beautiful and healthy. I guess I’ve been baggying whenever I DC over night, bu I Ould like more info on how she does this daily and if she leaves anything on her hair after rinsing with plain water.

Anisa
Anisa

I’m liking the idea of baggying- shall be trying it out. 🙂
Btw, where’s the forum gone?

Amma Mama
Amma Mama

GORGEOUS girl and hair!

luminouz_flame
luminouz_flame

I have the same question as MsNappy. How does she do it daily? Is she baggy-ing while in box braids? I would be late for work everyday and can’t imagine being able to wash my hair everyday. I like the idea of using saran wrap. My hair is getting a lil big for the shower caps and plastic grocery bags are too big. Plus the Honey can hear the bag every time I toss & turn throughout the night. BelleMuse has a great Fotki. I check it out constantly.

BelleMuse

@ Jadedpoet- Thanx Girly!!!! You & Ya hair are absolutely gorgeous!!!

@ Michigan Moni- Here’s how I use my products- Henna every summer for color. Baking Soda w/ ACV to cleanse. Suave Humectant conditioner w/ Alma oil to condition. EVOO or Coconut oil when braiding. Glycerin, castor oil & water for homemade moisture mix.

Thanx BGLH for featuring me & Thanx Ladies for all the nice compliments.

BelleMuse

Hello Gals, hopefully I answer ya’ll questions completely 🙂 @ Alice- I don’t do anything to dry my scalp btwn removing the plastic & applying my scarf. Usually my hair is only damp because I only mist it with my moisture mix So it’s never dripping wet. @ Msnappy & @ Ashley- Nope I don’t apply anything in the morning after rinsing my hair while in the shower. When I get home in the afternoon I mist it w/ my moisture mix and apply the baggy until I go to bed. @ Luminouz_Flame- Yours too?!?! Yea my hubby hates the beauty supply… Read more »

dajewel
dajewel

has bagging helped you reduce split ends and tangles at the ends of your box twists? why do you rinse your hair in the morning?

dajewel
dajewel

also, do you add anything to your hair while you box-braid?

Belle Muse

@ dajewel- Hey Gurl!!!! I use either coconut oil or olive oil to do the box braids. After they’re completed the only product I add daily is the castor oil glycerin & water mix. I rinse my hair daily to prevent build up & keep my scalp clean.

Ashley

Thanks for answering the questions BelleMuse! I just had a bad run in with Miss Jessie’s Curly pudding. My scalp was BURNING. Strange. I’m going to start doing this baggy method with water, EVOO, and maybe Herbal Essence Hello Hydration Conditoner? That’s what I have at home now!

dajewel
dajewel

thanks for answering our questions, Belle Muse!! love your hair!! how do you manage not tangles at the ends of your braids/twists?

ashley, i used mj’s for one time a couple of years ago; it left me a weird burning feeling and bunches of white flakes. never again! i just like to get it simple.

LovetheNerd
LovetheNerd

Belle Muse, you and your hair are absolutely lovely!

I have 4a/4b texture also, but I’m finding that I have to add protein–which I have to balance with moisture–into my regimen. Do you use protein in your regimen or does the Suave humectant have protein in it?

Knottygurl

Hello ‚Belle Muse do it girl ..I would love to know during your morning regimen are you braiding your hair after the rinse in the morning ..And how do you deal with leaving the house in the winter with a wet head?

Dee
Dee

😀 Love the simplicity and minimality. I am one lazy napp, and I think that less is a whole lot more, in terms of health, length. thanks for sharing!

bzcitybeauty
bzcitybeauty

Hey BelleMuse what oil(s) do you seal your ends off with? and how has this regimen you’ve adopted helped with split ends do you even get those girl?!