question for J: why are antifungal, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory elements so good for hair?

Avatar • Jul 22, 2009

J: BGLH’s resident haircare expert

Hey guys, I (Leila) submitted this question to J out of my own curiosity:

So, I’ve been thinking about this for a while:
A lot of things that are good for hair: aloe vera gel, castor oil, bentonite clay, chamomile, have antifungal, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. Why is that? I mean, how do those properties benefit the hair?”

J’s response:
The properties of these herbs are primarily focused for use to promote a healthy scalp. A healthy scalp leads to healthy hair. If your scalp is suffering, this cannot translate to healthy hair. I’m sure you’ve heard of skin/scalp issues like dandruff and eczema leading to hair loss. As the hair pushes through the follicle, it gets entangled in the excess sebum or the parasitic nature of a fungus (if that is the root of the dandruff). You can imagine that realized length retention may even be slowed down by this. The natural oils cannot properly travel down the hair shaft if they are blocked by excess sebum or fungi.

The bentonite clay adsorbs toxins attracting it to its surface, then absorbs them to sweep them away. The removal of these toxins allows your scalp to “breathe” better (it does the same thing in the body). Castor oil is an anti-toxin which is why it works well on the bowels; it increases muscle contractions along the intestinal wall. But because it is habit forming, you should not use it often. Sometimes people are constipated for a health reason. Using laxatives just masks the problem. Stick to using it in the hair where it can seal in moisture! Besides the properties that you already mentioned, aloe vera and chamomile have hydrating properties that can benefit the hair itself. We could all use a little hydration! besides who wouldn’t want a calm, soothed scalp!

~j~

About jenteel

haitian-naturalist-lover-idealist-health-conscious-spiritualist-yogi-new yorker

Tammyanka
Tammyanka

This very helpful. Part of the reason I went natural 4 years ago was that I suffered from eczema and relaxers made it worst. …think burns and scabs, sore! While i still suffer, the treatments and care I give to my hair in its natural; states has made my problem less of a bother. …a lot less except for in the winter months. My dermatologist is impressed.…but concerned i no longer uses his steroids.….

thanks Jenteel and Leila for this platform. BGLH rocks!!

cheers

Bronze Trinity
Bronze Trinity

This is very interesting! Since I stopped relaxing my hair my dandruff has disappeared and my head rarely itches. All of the things I use (e.g., peppermint oil, aloe vera gel, castor oil, lavender oil, tea tree oil, and even coconut oil) all have the anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory properties. My scalp and hair have never felt healthier. Plus, I wet my hair a lot so these natural products might also prevent bad things from growing in the moisture. These products work better than any anti-dandruff shampoo!

jenteel
jenteel

i’m happy you found the advice helpful ladies and that your scalps are much happier with natural hair and products! 🙂

emphasis is almost always placed on hair, but i really find it important to take good care of the hair AND the scalp.

Bo Herrud

I was curious if you ever considered changing the structure of your website? Its very well written; I love what youve got to say. But maybe you could a little more in the way of content so people could connect with it better. Youve got an awful lot of text for only having one or two images. Maybe you could space it out better?

news feed

I have seen that intelligent real estate agents all over the place are warming up to FSBO Marketing. They are realizing that it’s not just placing a sign in the front property. It’s really about building interactions with these suppliers who someday will become customers. So, whenever you give your time and energy to encouraging these suppliers go it alone — the “Law connected with Reciprocity” kicks in. Thanks for your blog post.

Torrejón de Ardoz

Neat post!! I continually wanted to put in writing on my web page something like that…