She2.Petite // Natural Hair Style Icon

Avatar • Jul 13, 2009

The U.S. really pushes light skin, and straight hair BUT I am seeing the U.S. incorporate more ethnic beauty in the media. It’s so refreshing!!!” ~she2.petite

BGLH: Where do you live? Where you reppin’?
S2P:
I live in Atlanta. My family is 100% Jamaican so I would say I identify with that most. I grew up in the states. I usually spend summers/vacations with my paternal grandmother in Westmoreland, but my mother is from Kingston. Every Jamaican American family is different. My family is older and more traditional but very Jamaican nonetheless. Goat-head soup for life.

BGLH: Your hair was very healthy and beautiful when it was relaxed. A lot of women wouldn’t leave that behind. So why did you decide to cut it all off and go natural?
S2P:
I took pretty good care of my hair when i had relaxed hair. I decided to go natural because I was tired of being a slave to my hair dresser. Driving three hours skimping on buying groceries to afford getting my hair done. Wanting color and being afraid my hair would fall out. I thought about how much I loved playing with my new growth, it always felt really good. I wished my whole head felt like that. I get restless and I’m cheap. I like change.

BGLH: When and how did you transition into natural hair?
S2P:
I transitioned in May ’07 until December ’07 then I big chopped.

BGLH: You have amazing styles! Where do you get style inspiration from?
S2P:
I get my inspiration from being bored on the weekends and experimenting with my hair. I’ll wear the style a few times until it’s exactly how I want it.

BGLH: Could you describe your products and regimen?
S2P:
I prefer natural products but I do use gel sometimes.

BGLH: I saw in one of your albums that you said that you wanted to resist society’s standard of beauty. Were you referring to Jamaica or America, and what, in your opinion, is the standard of beauty in those cultures?
S2P:
I was referring to American standards because that’s where I live. I’ve noticed that America is way more strict on what is considered attractive. There are so many perspectives in both cultures. Jamaica is more accepting of traditionally African features mainly because the dominant culture is of African decent. Though they have a tendency to make note of skin tone with terms such as brownin’ etc which is no worse than red bone/yellow bone in the U.S. The U.S. really pushes light skin, and straight hair BUT I am seeing the U.S. incorporate more ethnic beauty in the media. It’s so refreshing!!!

BGLH: And what’s the best thing about being natural?
S2P:
How unique it can be. The versatility.

Thanks for the insights! You can see more of she2.petite at http://public.fotki.com/romasuki/.

ChyeahBella
ChyeahBella

i love u hair, and ur very beautiful, do u have pics of when u had relaxed hair?

artgyrl
artgyrl

Wow. Such lovely, healthy hair.

Anonymous

Gorgeous photos. I LUV this blog! I am two months into my transition phase and the ladies never fail to inspire!

Karua
Karua

You are gorgeous and it’s fabulous to see another Jamaican beauty rocking the natural hair! My family is 100% Jamaican but I live in the US too so I could relate. I haven’t been to Jamaica since I was like 5. I’m turning 18 in a couple weeks and a few days after my b‑day I finally get to go! It’ll be interesting to see what my extended family thinks of my new hair… (15 months post-relaxer).

I know I already said it but you and your hair are fabulous!

Queenbuv3
Queenbuv3

Love her hair!

Krystal (aka Pirouette)
Krystal (aka Pirouette)

Wow! Gorgeous hair!

cjbrownsc
cjbrownsc

Beautiful hair! This blog does the best interviews! I’m convinced it’s the best blog on the I‑net.

Shones
Shones

smashing! fabulous hair, lovely styles, and I like the part about being cheap and liking change. I totally relate 🙂

Anonymous

Beautiful style icon! It’s great to see another Jamerican natural beauty on this blog. Based on the background of some of her pics it looks like she attends Georgia Tech. As a Georgia Tech Alum, and fellow Jamerican, I’m truly loving she2.petite.

aulelia
aulelia

She’s got a dollface.

What a beauty!

TAMMYANKA
TAMMYANKA

Your hair is lovely. So healthy too!  As for your thoughts on the diffrence b/w US and Jamaica. I lived in Ja for 23 yrs ( school and work) and here for 4 years (school and work). The US from my observation and own experiences is more accepting of unstraightened hair. Atleast there are platforms for both to exist. I agree on the Jamaican browning/ light skin syndrome but for hair.…. your abilities, beliefs, income etc is tied into what your hair looks like. I think as a visitor o the country you may not have a full picture..try getting… Read more »

Black girl with long hair
Black girl with long hair

@ TAMMYANKA… interesting. i think it also has to do with which region you live in. for example, my mother was employed with natural hair in kingston for close to two decades. it never prevented her from getting work. i don’t know how it might be in other parts of the island.

Bronze Trinity
Bronze Trinity

Wow her hair is sooooo nice! It looks so soft and it really flatters her. Its just precious!

Anonymous

BGLH, is your mom Jamaican or American? I think you’ve mentioned before that she married a Jamaican man and then raised her children there. Employers in the Caribbean tend to have different standards for foreigners than for locals. Just wondering if that my have had something to do with your mom’s experience.

Gillaine
Gillaine

Great interview! She has wonderful hair!! Love how she shouted out Goat-head soup!!
Ya done know!!

Steph
Steph

Beautiful hair! I love it.

The Fashionstar
The Fashionstar

I’m so excited you featured her! I’ve been following her fotki page for probably 2 years now anonymously, and she was one of my main inspirations for going natural.

Her hair is beautiful and she always comes up with fun & creative hairstyles, so I always go to her page to see different styles I can try as my hair continues to grow.

I love her hair & her whole style with the piercings and tattoos, we have a similar style so she inspires me month after month.

Meeka B
Meeka B

Lovely hair!

Pinky
Pinky

W.O.W… her hair is stunning. This is inspiring. I just love seeing black women embracing their naturally GORGEOUS hair. How can a perm beat this?!

Black girl with long hair
Black girl with long hair

@ anonymous 3:25… that’s a good question. I would have to ask my mom (she’s American) but from things I’ve heard her say over the years, I don’t think her American heritage helped her in any way.

His Daughter
His Daughter

yes indeed, Goat-head soup for life, lol. her hair is really cute!!

TAMMYANKA
TAMMYANKA

@ BGLH and Anonymous 3.25. Post Colonial societies like Jamaica and other Caribbean countries as well as India.…tend to have an obsession with hair length and texture as well as a love affair with all things and people foreign.  Too many times I have seen where the rules change if your were a tourist or foreigner.….it’s difficult to explain. It’s has to be experienced to understand. While I am not saying your mom was treated favorable for her “American “ness” it is quite possible. Also the more educated and powerful you are the more accepting your natural hair would be.… Natural… Read more »

msjaim
msjaim

beautiful sister! beautiful hair!

Miss Fizzy
Miss Fizzy

I loooooove the fro in the first pic.

Beautifully.Conjured.Up
Beautifully.Conjured.Up

Love the hair and love the interview!!

felicia lynette.
felicia lynette.

beautiful hair!
i’m definitely copying some of those styles.

her hair is pretty! lol

The Star
The Star

Yay, Atlanta represent!

Black girl with long hair
Black girl with long hair

@ Tammyanka… it’s kind of interesting cuz a similar thread is going on in the sunday retrospective on natural hair in the DR. my mom had a not-so-great experience in Jamaica, mainly because she was a dark-skinned black american. yes, there were a few people who wanted to associate with her because she was american, but when they found out that she was “just from the hood” in detroit, they were quick to dissociate. plus, a lot of jamaicans look down on african americans. we all know the stereotypes; jamaicans think african americans are lazy, uneducated, etc, etc. my mom had a… Read more »

Black girl with long hair
Black girl with long hair

@ tammyanka… oh, one thing i forgot to mention.
my little sister is in jamaica right now interning at the department of forestry and she’s natural. well, she goes between her natural hair and wigs, but she hasn’t had any complaints when she shows up with her natural hair.

on a side note tammyanka, you and my lil sis have a lot in common. she is studying geology and is a hard-core environmentalist. she goes to school in chicago, but her interest is doing environmental work in the caribbean

G
G

I love all of those styles. beautiful hair!

' ?esi.??si? »

Whhooo Jamaica (i live in canada though..but whateves that makes me Jamacadian right?) in this MUHH. Lol. sorry. anyways..
her hair is AWESOME and she is beautiful. Wow. thanks a lot for this whole interview!
-major props-

Anonymous

BGLH — so you’re an Haitian-American born and raised in Jamaica? What a mix! Talk about being multicultural!

Black girl with long hair
Black girl with long hair

@ Anonymous 8:12… Yup.

Anonymous

She is beautiful. And so is her hair.

LoloBloggs
LoloBloggs

How cool is this! She and I met at the airport in ATL last year May sometime and we started a convo about natural hair! (I was getting ready to do my big chop!)

BGLH please ask her to get in touch via my blog, I lost her email, but hopefully she’ll remember me, if nothing else cos of my english-ness!

D Alexandra
D Alexandra

what a beautiful girl! and her hair is absolutely goregeous!

Bonifant
Bonifant

I’m really love her hair and check her fotki for monthly updates.
I enjoy her breakdown of the products she uses and the impact on her hair… it helps me decide what may work for mine and even new things to try.
I’m not a fotki member so I can’t leave her comments but She2.petite thanks for sharing!

Urban Fashionista
Urban Fashionista

I love this blog. I’m mad i just found out about it.
She has beautiful and healthy hair. One thing that stuck out that she said is her natural hair is much more versatile. I’ve been natural for a few years now and done absolutely nothing with my hair. I’m going to print her pictures and try some of her styles over the weekend.

Anonymous

Let ’em know how we doin’ it down here here in the ATL boo!

Beautiful hair
She attends my university !

her hair is pretty! lol

-major props-

her hair is pretty! lol

-major props-

her hair is pretty! lol

-major props-

her hair is pretty! lol

-major props-

her hair is pretty! lol

-major props-

her hair is pretty! lol

-major props-

vivavivaciouss
vivavivaciouss

she has the HEALTHIEST mop of hair i have ever seen 🙂 is there any way we can have access to her regime ann/or tips on haircare ??!

Katherine
Katherine

Hi my name is katherine and i saw a link to this website on facebook so i liked it. Im so glad i did! My hair has been natural for my whole 19 years. And I just wanted to know what kind of natural hair products you use because your hair is sooo pretty!!

Tone Loc
Tone Loc

Your hair is gorgeous. I aspire for the fullness of your fro. Rock on.

brittany henryhand

hey i love your hair styles especially the one with the lady in the georgis state sweater how did u get it like that ?

IBE LOVE