regimens gone wild, part 2

Avatar • May 27, 2009

So I was curious after our recent discussion on regimens gone wild: In your opinion, what products or ingredients are the bedrock of a solid natural hair regimen? If you cut through all the product junkyism and the frenetic product search, which products/ingredients stand as critical components to a successful regimen? And if you don’t know the answer, please be real about that too.
Say why the product/ingredient is important to you, and how long you’ve been natural. (It would be nice if you could also tell the length of your hair… since long hair regimens tend to be more rigorous than medium/short hair regimens… but you don’t have to if you don’t want to.)

Patricia Grannum
Patricia Grannum

Her locs look great! I think she has point: sometimes it’s the black people in the ofice that have the most problems with your natural hair.

Anonymous
Anonymous

I have curly hair. I don’t know what type and I’m not sure how long. My hair fell about a half-inch below my bra strap last time I had it straight, but I haven’t had it straight in forever, so I’m not really sure. How Long Since I’ve Been Natural — Almost 15 years. I’ve cut my hair twice during that time. Now I’m letting it grow.  Routine — I like to keep a super-simple routine. I’m not fussy and I don’t have the patience to spend hours on my hair. Lately, I’ve been wearing a lot of twists that I… Read more »

keisha
keisha

i like Als dress and accessories. her hair is simple chic and doesn’t distract from her outfit. good choice! as far as ingredients/products that are critical to a regimen, IMO: a good cleanser to remove dirt and debris from the scalp and hair. i like bentonite clay for this but a commercial clarifying shampoo works when i don’t feel like going through the process of preparing, applying, and rinsing a clay hair mask.  a good protein conditioner to reinforce my strands. my hair likes protein, so i do this regularly. a rich moisturizing conditioner to make my hair supple and elastic.… Read more »

thelady
thelady

Keep it simple:
a mild shampoo
a moisturizing conditioner

aloe vera or coconut oil or shea butter (individual or all at once) to moisturize and style

mellowyel
mellowyel

So, I’m just a little over a year natural, short to medium length hair, and still kind of a product junkie (I just bought a bunch of natural ingredients to mix up my own hair cream, and I’m beginning to think I didn’t need 4 different varieties of oil…). I’m still figuring things out, but I’ve found that a good hair oil and vegetable glycerin serve me best. I don’t worry too much about what I use to wash my hair — if it’s too stripping I just do a pre-poo. I’ve also tried a bunch of conditioners and found… Read more »

keisha
keisha

@mellowyel…not all alcohols are drying.

i couldn’t find the original link on naturally curly, but it should get you started in the write direction!

Jc
Jc

— I’m very impressed by your list of conditioning agents. I was actually preparing a ‘shopping list’ post for my blog which lists the best agents for conditioning, sealing, softness etc. I have to say that your research is spot on.

Ivy
Ivy

wow. I had no idea some alcohols were ok for our hair. I was ready to throw out all my products that even mentioned alcohol in the ingredient list. guess I need to slow down and do more research. thanks keisha!

keisha
keisha

@Jc…thanks! that means a lot, esp coming from you. i’ll be looking out for that shopping list post :o)

…the alcohols in gels, mousses, and hairsprays are usually the ones that lead to dryness and breakage. so, if you use those styling products, then you might want to find ones that don’t contain alcohols if possible

Bibi
Bibi

, could you please tell me what protein conditioner you use? I had been using ORS Hair Mayonnaise, but someone pointed out that it has SLS in it, so I’m thinking I should stop using it once the one I have has run out. Thanks.