Taj // Natural Hair Style Icon

Avatar • May 6, 2009

Alright ladies, I got quite the interesting email the other day…

Hi!

First the obvious, I love BGLH. Thank you, thank you, I’ve been natural my whole life, with about a three year exception for my perm-curious phase, and this is the first time I’ve really learned to take care of my hair and retain length so thank you (and Jenteel), the blog is such a help.

I have a cousin who is a ‘male natural’ with amaaaaazing hair and I don’t know what category he would fit in as far as spotlights but I mean his hair is great, and I’m sure the ladies would like some eye candy lol.

This isn’t even the best part. Taj (the cuzzo) is competing for Sean John’s Face of the Future! http://www.seanjohn.com/contest/ And doing a pretty freakin good job. He has moved his way up to the top 50 and voting is crucial in the next 24 hours. Please vote for him, please please =) And spread the word! He’s one of the few guys with actual hair lol. Each IP address only gets one opportunity to vote for each round… The more computers voting, the better =)

Taj is a smart multitalented entrepreneur and very down to earth guy. His blog is http://oneoldmanreed.blogspot.com

Have a great day,
Lilone

So right now Taj is up to SPOT 2!!
I normally don’t do things like this, but when I saw Taj’s hair I said (in the ever-living words of Snoop) I GOTS to do it. So, I asked Taj to do a quick interview, which he agreed to. And I would encourage you (if you are so moved!) to vote for him in the competition.

BGLH: How old are you, and where you repping?
TAJ
: I’m 21 years old, born and raised in Trenton, New Jersey. I lived in Waldorf, Maryland for a good amount of years as well so I claim that too.

BGLH: Why did you want to enter the Sean John competition?
TAJ
: I was actually informed about the competition by a photographer I work with named Jeff Martini.

BGLH: So you made it to the top 50? Out of how many models? Did you think you would get this far?
TAJ
: There were a few thousand models I believe. L says~I checked the website. It’s 9,000 to be exact. I actually didnt know I made the top 50, a friend of mine who was also in the competition before the cut left me a message congratulating me on being selected and thats how I found out about my being one of the top 50.

BGLH: Have you always had a curly fro? If not, when did you grow it out?
TAJ
: My hair is naturally curly but I’ve worn it a ton of different ways. Fades, braids, caesars, and a few years ago I had really long hair down my back and I would just wear it in a ponytail most days.

BGLH: What do you put in your hair to keep it looking great?!
TAJ
: Truthfully I just wash and condition my hair really good with Pantene Pro‑V Anti-Frizz. Other than that I don’t do much to it at all. L says~that’s probably why it grows so fast.

BGLH: Do you do any other modeling?
TAJ
: I do a lot of free lance modeling and recently landed some non binding work with MMM Model Management. I’ve worked with a few different photographers; Don and Michael Tippett out of Philadelphia, Jeff Martini of Delaware, and I have some upcoming projects with a photographer named Taj Washington in New York. However I officially began modeling this past Fall at my school (University of Delaware), in a modeling competition held by fashion club UDress and have since been featured in two issues of their magazine which is released quarterly.

More pics of Taj

Way to go Taj!
Now if you want to vote for Taj go here: http://www.seanjohn.com/contest/. They’ll play this intro movie (you can probably just skip that), and then show the faces of the top 50 models. As I said before, Taj is currently in second place with 5663 votes, so look for his name and put in your vote! Lilone will keep us posted on whether Taj wins the competition.
Also, just a question: do you like big hair on black dudes?

keisha
keisha

i have family in waldorf…how random. anywhoo, i voted for taj because i definitely think his hair makes him stand out. hopefully, he wins but if not, marketers at sean jean better get with the program. if i saw an ad campaign with taj, his hair would make me stop and take notice. the rest of those guys, while very attractive as well, look like every other black male model.

good luck!

Alice
Alice

*votes*

^_^

Good luck Taj!

Jc
Jc

Yes big hair is cute on guys and girls.

Da Jadedpoet
Da Jadedpoet

I voted, he’s the same age as my young bro so its cool to see someone his age doing something. He’s adorableee and I’m actually jealous of his hair!! LOL 🙂

Does he detangle his hair with his fingers and/or occasionally use a comb?

Black girl with long hair
Black girl with long hair

@ dajaded… i can ask him for you. i will have to do a round 2 interview with him if he wins the competition.

Anonymous
Anonymous

Big Hair on black dudes that a tough call. I think most us are partial about a man with dreds, there’s just something about them. Taj’s hair is gorgeous. I was on the Sean John site last week and was drawn to his face and his hair, ICING on the cake, fits him really well. I can definitely see him as the future face of Sean John. Seeing the rest of his picture was great I can see his face is very versatile; makes him really good for modeling. He had my vote then and has my vote again. Much… Read more »

mellowyel
mellowyel

I like big hair on black guys, as long as they take care of it! It’s SO unattractive when a dude has big hair that’s dry and looks like he just rolled out of bed. I actually had a funny moment when I told a friend I like guys with hair, and she was like, “LOL That means you only like white guys.” Untrue! and Taj proves it. He has my vote!

Rasheda
Rasheda

Jersey Stand Up! I’m about to vote right now! Good Luck to him!

BELLEMUSE
BELLEMUSE

Thanks for the eye candy!!!!!!!!

LuminouzFlame
LuminouzFlame

First, THANKS FOR THE EYE CANDY!!! I needed this while I was at work. I voted for him as well. I’m gonna pass this along to my friends and maybe post it on the natural hair groups on FB (if no one has done it yet, but feel free to b/c I can’t access it from work). I can appreciate big hair on a dude, only if it’s natural of course. Not a perm gone wrong or crap like that.

Michelle
Michelle

that dude is FINE! i hope he wins. i live in germany so besides not really seeing alot of natural hair, i almost never see guys with big natural hair, but you know, i like it alot! if he wins it would be great encoragement for other guys out there who may be considering this.

Jade
Jade

Am I the only one who clicked on the link and saw Greg from the previous real world? ::gags:: Seriously, I coudnt find Taj.

I’ve never dated a guy with hair like his. It would motivate me to step my hair game up though. Cant have my man thinking his hair is better than mine. *Is that shallow?*

labelfreementality
labelfreementality

Just voted! But I like hair on any kind of man! Long hair is sexy on a guy IMO plus they can make their hair look good without any effort (which isn’t fair) =p

lilone
lilone

Thanks L!!!! And thank you ladies for supporting Taj. Click as many times as you can at once 😉

@Luminouzflame
The facebook thing is a good idea! Taj has a facebook group for the competition too… Gotta figure out how to post that.

The next cut is tonight when the top 10 will be selected… Thanks again everyone for the support!!!!

yours truly
yours truly

woo! he’s sexy. i love big hair or long hair on guys once they know how to take care of it. could be loc’d or loose, i’m a fan. (is it bad i want to steal his hair too? lol)

he’s getting my vote for sure.

Bronze Trinity
Bronze Trinity

I’m totally voting for him. He has a gorgeous face and gorgeous hair! I think my hair might actually look like his when it grows out. He will be a great role model for men and women about how beautiful natural can be. He has a great face and those lips…gorgous!!!

msjaim
msjaim

trying not to play the role of the lecherous “old woman”, so Ill keep other non hair related comments to myself- ;).. . loveing the ‘fro. Ill vote for him as well

Old Man T
Old Man T

Much thanks for the feature and all of your support.

Beautifully.Conjured.Up
Beautifully.Conjured.Up

For some reason, he reminds me of a sexy Jimi Hendrix…maybe Jemi Hendrix 2009.

Black girl with long hair
Black girl with long hair

@ msjaim… LMAO @ “lecherous old women”, LOL!!!!

Milan
Milan

Taj is fine!

LuvDeluxe
LuvDeluxe

I voted. Good luck sweet heart. …Some of these guys look like gals…like this one right here…Is that a guy? Whew! that is scary.

LuvDeluxe
LuvDeluxe

@ Alice
I like your little icon/thumbnail. One day I will stop being lazy and put one up.

hkonte
hkonte

Hotness! Nice Hair, i will definitely vote!

Anonymous
Anonymous

HOTTT…NESSS!!! Magically delicious! Thanks for the eye candy, I don’t typically like big hair on guys but on him it works! Hope he wins.

? ? [m a r i . b e e]. ?

he is suuuuuper fine! you should have asked him if like west african chicks.…lol

L.S.L.
L.S.L.

i like this post!!!

Nicole
Nicole

I’m w/ mellowyel 100%!

Patricia Grannum
Patricia Grannum

wow, his hair definitely makes him stand out. I hope he wins!

Mika
Mika

I love love love his hair, it is beautiful, and so is he lol

serenissima
serenissima

dmv FTW
*votes*

jenteel
jenteel

wow!
look at what happens when we post a boy — lol!

good luck taj!

lilone
lilone

grrr.… so update:

where is Taj???

Apparently the contest is not as based on votes as it seemed. The top 10 is posted and people who had little to no votes yesterday are in it. I guess the voting was just for public participation???

Anyway, ladies thanks for the support, you did a great job! We had 7,000 votes yesterday and Taj has definitely been getting the exposure he deserves. Don’t worry it’s not over 😉

Porsche Sade
Porsche Sade
Reply to  lilone

So, I have a serious question: How does one get in contact with Taj?

The Notorious Z.A.G.
The Notorious Z.A.G.

He’s a very handsome young man. I love Black Guys with Long Hair! My boyfriend is currently growing out his naps, and our boy decided to join us (much to the dismay of my mom&grama) its a good look! Good luck in your career Taj!

LuvDeluxe
LuvDeluxe

What da’ heeze!!!! That “Matthew” dude is not a guy. These guys are not even attractive.This just burns me up.

Rebecca V. O'Neal
Rebecca V. O'Neal

Love the hair.
and he’s attractive — and seems intelligent.

thumbs up! lol

j
j

we were ROBBED!!! they had no intention of nominating Taj…da durty bastids!!!

affiliate marketing niche

This can be a wonderful article. I’m so delighted the net continues to have superb articles.

Ha'CarraYanessa
Ha'CarraYanessa

I must say I’m a SUCKER for guys with hair, especially long gorgeous hair. I don’t care what type or color, I just love well cared for hair on beautiful men ^_^!
Well, I hope he won the competition. Wow, this was really five years ago?