tough love: get rid of those scraggly ends!

Avatar • Mar 27, 2009

cut it out!

yeah i said it…the dreaded c‑word! get rid of damaged hair!if it’s raggedy, it needs to go! ladies if your ends are severely split, or breaking off with every wash — cut them. get it over with. i’ll even let you do a little at a time 🙂 and while you’re at it get a pair of hair shears like those pictured above to do the job right(don’t use little timmy’s craft scissors!). then get right with your moisturizing regimen and baby those ends to prevent future damage! when your hair is properly moisturized, you will find the need to cut diminish. you’ll have a great foundation to grow out your hair to your desired length.

How to Prevent and Protect Your Hair From Split Ends
(courtesy of spa boutique)

A split end is when the hair-shaft splits or flays due to excessive heat and misuse. They happen when the protective cuticle has been stripped away from the ends of hair fibers. Split ends are more likely to develop in dry or brittle hair. Typically the hair splits into two or three strands, and can be as long or two to three centimeters in length. There is no way to repair split ends; when they occur, the hair must be trimmed. Did you know that splitting of hairs at the ends” is also known as “Trichoptilosis”? It comes from the Greek root “tricho” meaning hair and “ptilosis” meaning “falling out of the eyelashes.”

Typical causes of damage include:
* Vigorous brushing.
* Excessive usage of hot styling tools and drying (irons, blow dryers, hot rollers).
* Overuse of chemical treatments (perms, hair color and highlighting).
* Use of inferior styling tools that rip or snag hair (cheap synthetic brushes or combs, brush rollers, etc.,).
* Environmental damage from heat, cold, wind and other climate issues.
* Lack of routine maintenance such as regular trimming.
* Trimming with inferior scissors.
* Improper de-tangling techniques.
* Excessive use of low quality styling products such as gels, waxes and sprays.
* Over washing.

What Split Ends Can Look Like:

a) Start out to look like this — the classic split end.
b) If the classic split (a) is not stopped it continues to split along the shaft
c) Multiple Splits – worse case when classic (a) and (b) is not stopped
d) The Dot looks like a piece of fluff, but doesn’t brush off
e) The Dot bends at a straight angle. This is not really a split thought, it is Trichorrexis Nodosa and is actually caused by an explosion of the cortex (2nd layer) of the hair in a single spot.
f) The hole is the most difficult split end to find. The hair shaft has developed a split in the middle. To find this one, look for a small section that is lighter.
g) When you take the hole split strand and push them together, it pushes the split apart and creates and hole.

check out the rest of the post which provides 11 tips and techniques to avoid split ends.

that’s it…short(tee-hee) and sweet

~j~

Black girl with long hair
Black girl with long hair

LOL at “tee-hee”!! yeh, i did my trim a while back. it hurt, but it was necessary… funnily enough i don’t even miss the hair/notice it’s gone. i don’t think it really was contributing all that much to my length

Lady Kinnks
Lady Kinnks

thanks 4 the tips..i need to work on better end maintenance!

Shayna'
Shayna'

this did help alot…everytime i look at my hair i see straight hairs sticking up going every which way && i have been obessing over them..tryna figure out if they were really slpit ends…i def need to stop washing my hair so often && invest in some scissors other than my “craft” ones. i still need to find a good moisturizing regimen…i get so overwhelmed reading all the ideas :-/

Black girl with long hair
Black girl with long hair

@ shayna… don’t be overwhelmed. just start with one or two ideas and build from there. you’ll get your rhythm.

labelfreementality
labelfreementality

I get the “D” knots all the time but as soon as I see them it’s snip snip. I also stuggle with having random sections in my hair that won’t curl that really ticks me off lol

Beautifully.Conjured.Up
Beautifully.Conjured.Up

I have to 100% agree. On this other natural blog (I won’t say the name), but she is an advocate for not cutting your ends. I went with it because I figured it would help me retain length (that’s what she said)…WRONG!!!! That was some of the worst advice I’ve ever received. My hair grows better and is healthier when I get my trims on the regular.

Anonymous
Anonymous

Which splits do I have? All of the above!! It’s like I’m collecting them. It’s time for a chop anyway. Last one was in Nov. 🙁

jenteel
jenteel

well trimming/cutting is definitely a subjective thing. some people need it more than others. i will say this: as the health of your hair improves the need to trim greatly decreases. but i would never suggest never to cut. even when growing your hair out, i noticed many long/healthy haired naturals cut once every 6months to a year.

Mira*
Mira*

I have a lot of “f” and “g”. I can feel them just by feeling my hair. The strands are quite bumpy when I have these types of splits. What I do not understand is how do I continuously have these “hair splices” if I had a major chop in October (and have been cutting regularly since then)? I do not understand! I used to think the hairstyle I wore during the summer created these hair splits but summer is long gone and so is my summer hair! Could it be that hair grows like that? Let me add by… Read more »

jenteel
jenteel

@ miralol @ ayudame! ¡espero poder ayudar! i promise you that your hair does not grow that way. i can tell you that not moisturizing well enough can produce splits. you need to moisturize your ends every day, especially if you live in a really hot or really cold climate. i used to get a lot of splits in the front section of my hair by using gel and brushing too much. check out the label “moisturizing products and regimen” to the right. hope that helps hon 🙂

Lorraine
Lorraine

OMG I recently just hacked off half of my hair bc of split ends. Even with protective styles I get them. I don’t understand what the problem is. Single strands are my number 1 problem, #2 are the little holes in the shaft. 🙁 Anyone have any tips, I can’t afford to keep cutting all my hair off bc of this. Ugh!!!! Ayudenme tambien!!!! Lol