some afternoon napp: box braids

Avatar • Feb 10, 2009

box braids are, to me, the best protective style for protecting ends. i kno, i kno, they’re not as glamorous as twists or twist outs. i think this set is really cute tho.

oh, oh, we haven’t done one of these in a while: would you wear this style to work/school?

you can check kinkerbelle on fotki.

***
oh, and i’m going to joc the end of this entry to talk about something totally unrelated, lol. i’m profiling frumny2nc tomorrow, and i think i’m going to designate wednesdays (and maybe thursdays) for interviews (you know, in keeping with the fridays for fun and sundays for introspection.)

AnyaPosh
AnyaPosh

AWW…i love it! They looks so soft & neat on her. I can’t wait until my hair is long enough to fall like hers in cute box braids!

AnyaPosh
AnyaPosh

I just checked out her fotki & her hair is so gorgeous. Her hair line is intact & her hair looks healthy. Darn, I would texturize my 4B hair to look like hers: i’m sorry, but I can be a texture-wannabe sometimes! 😀

D?s?? ?

Their cute, and look nice and soft.

Ayomide
Ayomide

I use to do my hair this way after I blow dried it. It is a nice style. There are many ways to put up the box braids, very versatile.

Anonymous
Anonymous

What is a box braid please ? What is the difference between a simple braid ?

Chanel
Chanel

my hair is still short from the BC and i always do small box braids all over my head. They look really cute with a knit hat or headband, so a definite YES to wearing at work and school. they make my hair sooo nice when i take them out and i can often rock the braid out look for two or three days if i wrap

Jc
Jc

There is no real difference. Box braids generally refer to the style that you have just seen with multiple small braids usually with no extensions.

The reason why people say box braids is so that you know that they are talking about this style and not a single braid or pigtails or a french braid.

FindingMyWayback
FindingMyWayback

Pretty and thick! Gorgeous healthy looking hair!

FlowerChild
FlowerChild

This is cute.

I wear box braid extensions to work right now so I would probably wear this style to work. However, I work in a small, sorta close knit office where everything is kinda lax so it’s not the same as working in a large corporate environment. I would probably make the braids a bit smaller though for myself.

I’m curious to see what other people have to say though. Women of color and their issues with their hair in the workplace is a bigger problem than most people realize.

jenteel
jenteel

box braids are the best protective style for me because they last (don’t unravel) and you can wash and condition your hair in them

i think this can definitely be worn to work

Anonymous
Anonymous

Thank you for the answer JC. 😉 Sometimes, it’s hard to understand the “technical” terms ! I’m French.

Jc
Jc

Ah oui je comprends. Je ne suis pas Francaise mais je peux vous aider. I can provide a free translation service : )

vanilles — twists
nattes — braids
couette — ponytail
chignon — bun
tresses plates — cornrows
rajouts — extensions

Deena
Deena

I’m just now discovering this site and I’m all over it! I love it! I also love those box braids, her hair is BEAUTIFUL. I am SO fed up with my hair. I’ve been natural for around 14 years and my hair is still short/medium. It breaks so easily, I just don’t know what to do with it anymore. Braids peel out the edges and its very fine anyhow. Arrrrgh! The only time it grows is when its left to grow interrupted in a weave so I might just do that FOREVER. aRRRRGH AGAIN!Didn’t mean to unload in this one… Read more »

Anonymous
Anonymous

Hi gurl… Ive got very long hair, but Im always afraid to have box braids because it tangles that quick. But I’ll try braiding my hair thickwise… looks very nice on you and is better than having them tiny.. Very beautiful!

D?s?? ?

Their cute, and look nice and soft.

D?s?? ?

Their cute, and look nice and soft.

D?s?? ?

Their cute, and look nice and soft.

D?s?? ?

Their cute, and look nice and soft.

D?s?? ?

Their cute, and look nice and soft.

D?s?? ?

Their cute, and look nice and soft.