i did a big-girl thing yesterday

Avatar • Jan 28, 2009

yes, that’s right. i trimmed my hair.

now, like most black women, i have an almost-physical aversion to scissors, and i also suffer from the “it doesn’t matter that my hair is breaking/wilted/bleached-within-an-inch-of-its-life i’ll still keep it’ syndrome.

so, understandably, i went into denial when my ends started getting bad.

there’s nothing wrong with uneven ends,” i told myself.

yes there is!” replied my little hair conscience, “they look bogus as hell.”

needless to say, i ignored my hair conscience. but a few days later when i noticed tiny lint pieces in my ends, i knew it was time.

ok, i’m not going to front, i felt cool/grown up when i trimmed. and it’s true that your hair is fuller, feels bouncier (and somehow looks shinier…) after you trim. plus, i only needed to get rid of a teeny little ball of hair.

so, i was proud of myself and immediately informed my boyfriend — who, due to his curly headedness doesn’t always understand my napp psychosis — of what i had done. and he was proud.

let this ditty be inspiration to all the scraggly-ended ladies out there. do what ya gots to do!

thoughts?

Anonymous
Anonymous

A centermeter — 1/2 inch trim every 6–8 months would surfice. No biggie.

Olivia
Olivia

i just cut off about an inch and a half this month as the beginning of my transition, i was soooo nervous but it helped a lot! it didn’t see-through and more full, though it’s shorter than i’m used to i know in the long run it would help. =]

dasia
dasia

Wow, you got guts, lol. I haven’t trimmed in 4 yrs, I just don’t agree with the whole trimming thing.

Kinky Rhonnie
Kinky Rhonnie

Hey BGWLH,

I trim a little at least every couple of months. I can always tell it’s time to trim when I do my twists and the ends feel rough.

I figure I loose a little hairball with every detangle so what’s a little trim to keep the ends neat?

RC

Moni
Moni

Ugh, I’ve trimmed my hair twice in the 11 months since I’ve gone natural, using the twist method, and my hair is now uneven! Nobody else notices it, especially since I only wear my hair in protective styles, but I know! Sooner or later I’m going to have to get it cut professionally, which I really dread.

Anonymous
Anonymous

Welcome to the big girls’ club, lol.

Technically I agree with the first commenter but that’s only if your hair is in really good shape and you’re not doing anything to cause extra damage (eg. using too much heat). Actually you really need to listen to your little hair conscience. 😉

Jc
Jc

I do not trim my hair because it is not damaged. I do look at my ends and find the odd split end or knot which gets the snip but I do not regularly trim it.  I think I sustain less damage because I cowash my hair in 6 large braids, let it air dry and then use my fingers to separate it out. I comb my hair only once a week or so, otherwise my fingers are good enough.  I am not a frequent user of heat either. Probably once a year or less. So, my hair just doesn’t need… Read more »

Wes
Wes

I just got a trim from Devachan that cost me $98 for something I know I could’ve probably done myself. From here on out, it’ll be me and my scissors snip-snapping away 😉

LiLiMarie
LiLiMarie

i dont ever trim. when i start to feel the urge to get my ends trimmed i just weaved up =/ and give my hair a break. i get really good growth when my hair can rest and just be moisturized and chillin. =)

Black girl with long hair
Black girl with long hair

well, i don’t believe that cutting hair makes it grow longer (some women believe that), but i do think there’s a difference between cutting and trimming. i mean, it’s probably just cosmetic. trimmed hair just looks/feels better to me.

quippaqt
quippaqt

I just recently purchased my first pair of hair shears and plan on doing a little snipping of damaged ends myself. I have been getting trims but I think its b/c my stylist knows I want to retain length she doesn’t want to chop too much and there are a few areas that need to be snipped shorter, so I’m going to do it myself… soon, when I work up the courage, lol ;-).