the fuzz

Avatar • Oct 18, 2008

Natural hair is highly textured.
About a week after putting in a fresh set of cornrows or twists, it starts to get fuzzy.
I’m inclined to think that fuzzy hair is part of having afro textured hair. I try to keep my hair looking decent, but I’m not going to pull out gel or grease.

But what do you think? Do you slick things back at the first sign of fuzz… or do you just let it ride?

Also, do you think that incessant gelling/slicking means that a woman is not fully accepting what natural hair is? Or am I just reading too much into it…

Weigh in

Aexclamtionpoint's author
Aexclamtionpoint's author

I think the frizz is apart of the natural charm. looks cute

SistaOpinion
SistaOpinion

Maybe because I’ve been natural for so long and have accepted my frizz and fuzz just like I accept my stretch marks and my bent toenails, I am amazed at how many women still have this notion that they can be “natural but not nappy.” For a lot of us (I’m in this because I have unmistakably NAPPY hair), natural IS nappy…and the sooner some women accept that, the easier their hair life will be. Frizz is bad if your hair isn’t naturally frizzy…but nappy Afro-textured hair is the very epitome of “naturally frizzy” so why would it be bad if it’s… Read more »

Wildfiyah
Wildfiyah

You may have a point about not fully accepting natural hair. I personally love fuzz. You don’t want to look unkempt, but there are styles that you can totally create to celebrate the full furriness of the lambs’ wool 🙂

SLY
SLY

who cares about the fuzz when my hair is so curly anyway. I’d be gelling forever if I tried to tame anything that didn’t seem right. It’s all right. Although I don’t wear corn rolls. But the styles I wear the fuzz is apart of it. It’s just hair.

Leslie
Leslie

hI think it is important to not impose any definitions on what it means to be “natural.” Just because one woman prefers to reduce the apperance of “frizz” doesn’t mean she isn’t natural — or if she chooses to get her hair blow dried straight. There is so much most black woman can do with their hair — there is no need to add restrictions. I think it is not positive to have a “She’s not REALLY natural” attitude because a woman decides to rock her natural hair differently. Also, she may have a preference of wearing a more straight… Read more »

jenteel
jenteel

i have not accepted my frizz!lol!
and i am 9 yrs in!
i have diff hair textures
b/c of this my frizz is very localized (my crown)
when i pull it back
i gel and/or heavily moisturize those areas
then apply a scarf

the only time i’m cool with frizz
is when my hair is “big“
then it’s all frizzy and wild!

Gia
Gia

I agre with the sis that said when they speak about unkept hair being frizzy, they dont mean us who naturally have frizzy hair. It makes me laugh when I see sistahs with gel and slicking products to keep their lil frizzies in place! I read an article once that said the problem with black women is that they are trying to make their hair do things it wasnt meant to do! If you have frizzy hair… I say let it frizz

Bsquared86
Bsquared86

i used to use gel on my hair when i first started rocking my loose naps. but then i discovered that gel wasn’t necessary and learned the greatness of a good moisturizer and tying it down well with a scarf.

frizz and fuzz add charm to nappy styles! but there is nothing wrong with slicking if you want to.

Alicia
Alicia

I’ve been natural all my life (I’m 26) and I still haven’t accepted the frizz. I use pomade, moisturizers, and gel to keep my hair neat and curly/wavy…no frizz for me! I also take brades, twists, and other styles out at the first sign of frizz. It just doesn’t look good to me.

Indigenous Productions
Indigenous Productions

i am not over the fuzz yet. but i refuse to use a gel

Aleisha
Aleisha

Ahh yes the frizz! It’s time got my twist to come down because of the frizz. I’ve accepted, i don’t love it but i refuse to to but gel to my hair (okay accept eco-stlyer gel. and thats only for a wash-n-go).