the call-out box

Avatar • Oct 4, 2008

Okay, on the natural haired journey you will come across many products. Some will work, and some won’t. Unfortunately, many ‘natural hair product lines’ make a fortune off of exploiting clueless Black women who use a product until they realize, ‘hell. this don’t even work!’

So right now I want us to talk moisturizers (and moisturizing techniques.) What works and what doesn’t? Of course we must recognize that works for one texture might not work for another. But, generally speaking, crap is crap and quality is quality.

I’ll go first:
I swear by Elasta QP mango butter.

It smells good, it defines my curl and the moisturizing lasts all day. In terms of moisturizing techniques, I spritz my hair with water and Care Free Curl Instant Moisturizer at night, wrap it in a scarf, then slap on the Elasta QP in the morning.

Can I be real and say, the only reason I use the Care Free Curl Instant Moisturizer is that somehow it ended up in my bathroom. It could be a leftover from college… I don’t specifically remember buying it. I guess it does the trick. I mean, my hair feels softer in the morning…

But anyway, that is what I use. But I’m def more excited about the Elasta than the Care Free Curl. I mean, the CFC does have glycerin and protein. So I guess that’s good…

But anyways ladies (and gents, if you’re out there) drop your knowledge? What do you use? What don’t you use? Why?

ClarkiesMommy
ClarkiesMommy

I totally agree with you on the Elasta QP Mango Butter!! Since it’s working I’ve been too scared to try anything else, but I’m interested in seeing what others are using.

Beautifully.Conjured.Up
Beautifully.Conjured.Up

I haven’t tried the Elast QP Mango Butter…I will def. get on that soon.

For me, I swear by Shea Butter. It’s very simple, and its amazing…leaves my hair moisturized w/o a greasy feel or added chemicals. I’ve made a concoction with shea butter, olive oil,Biolage Ultra Moisturing Conditioner, and distilled water…my hair loves it.

QuitaD
QuitaD

I’m not a fan of Elasta QP Mango Butter. My hair always felt soft yet crispy the next day, smells great though. For moisturizer I use Parnevu Organic Hair Mayonaise. I love this stuff, its the best stuff ever for my hair. I’ve been trying to use she butter lately. It works but the moisturized effects seemed short lived on my hair (3–4 days).

jenteel
jenteel

i’ve started mixing up my own stuff
i am going to phase out most of my commercial products
i swear by my moisturizer
which i use everyday on my ends

my moisturizer contains an old product used to define curls as the base
then i add:
aloe vera gel
fantasia ic leave-in moisturizer macadamia nut oil
(or any nutrient rich oil ex. avocado, olive)
jojoba oil
tea tree oil (a few drops)
black castor oil
vatika oil

i am also planning to add liquid silk amino acid and honeyquat which is superior to glycerin in moisturizing

Felicity
Felicity

I like to miss my own stuff, however my favourites being, castor oil, aloe vera gel, wild growth oil, glycerine and rosewater.

Black girl with long hair
Black girl with long hair

Dang jenteel, that sounds serious

msjaim
msjaim

shealoe ( shea butter, coconut oil{my next batch will be made with moani de tahiti oil}, all natural aloe vera gel, gse & a lil glycerine & geranium essential oil) I love this stuff!!! Ive applied it to wet hait, dry hair & a veeeery light spritzinf of water , light oils & eo & that worked best becuase I ended up using less 7 the shealo sealed in the mositer from the spritz w/ out my hair actually being really wet

Anonymous
Anonymous

Did any of you ever try MissJessie’s products…?

I swear by that. And Pantene Shampoo and Conditioner..It doesnt dry out my hair

… am i missing something thou… You guys use natural products, what are the benefits of using those in comparison to something already made?

P.s,-I love your Blog!

rracius
rracius

Miss Jessie’s

The best thing that happened to black women.

This line has the best moisturizor’s that I ever used.

Also i use Pantene for shampoo and conditioner. Its actually pretty good.

Any suggestions thou???

p.s.- I love this blog!

Fredericka

Why users still use to read news papers when in this technological world the whole thing is presented on net?

Kari

That is a good tip especially to those fresh to the blogosphere. Simple but very precise information… Thank you for sharing this one. A must read article!

Vickie

Its such as you read my mind! You seem to know so much about this, such as you wrote the ebook in it or something. I believe that you can do with some p.c. to force the message home a little bit, but instead of that, this is excellent blog. An excellent read. I’ll definitely be back.

Tonia

Hi! I know this is kinda off topic however I’d figured I’d ask. Would you be interested in exchanging links or maybe guest writing a blog post or vice-versa? My website addresses a lot of the same topics as yours and I feel we could greatly benefit from each other. If you are interested feel free to send me an email. I look forward to hearing from you! Awesome blog by the way!