cutting and trimming

Avatar • Oct 24, 2008

So, I confess. I am not a fan of trimming. If my ends are really knotted and uneven, I’ll snip off a half inch or so… but that only happens, like, once every 6 months.

I’ve heard a variety things about cutting and trimming. Some people say it’s a magical secret to growth… some people say it stops split ends from traveling down the hair shaft… some people don’t think it makes a difference.

I’ve met a lot of ‘scissor happy’ women on my natural journey… which always strikes me as odd since getting afro textured hair to grow can be such an ordeal. But I am certainly not a hair professional, and I’m still learning healthy hair practices.

So what do you think?
Is trimming/cutting imperative for the natural woman?

Weigh in.

SLY
SLY

You always want to make sure you’re cutting away split ends. Whether your hair is straight or curly or no matter what race you are. You want your hair to be healthy and if the ends are splitting, they should come off before it becomes worse. I’ve also had moments where parts of my hair grew way longer than the rest. Way longer..so I’d cut off three or four inches. Or when my natural hair just got too long for me to like, I think one time I cut off about four inches of all of my hair. Recently I cut… Read more »

Black girl with long hair
Black girl with long hair

sheena, you are a very special black woman. most of us are dying for that length, lol.

but i respect what you’re saying. health–and happiness with your hair–is definitely more important thatn length.

Antwanika
Antwanika

It’s not that trimming/cutting makes your hair grow faster but instead keeps your hair healthy and prevents split ends from taking over. I agree that trimming is not that critical for natural hair as it is relaxed hair but still needs to be done. I do mine every 6 months or when I start to find little knots on my ends.

onemoore
onemoore

As natural hair stylist, I have a number of clients who have asked this same question. Some of them get it done every other month and some only get trims/cuts if they are trying to maintain a certain length or shape. I don’t have much hair on my head, but when I did, I only trimmed my ends when I wanted to wear my afro out.

Becca the Promo Mami
Becca the Promo Mami

i’m growing my hair out now and I’m DREADING my trim next week… my hair has gotten pretty long over the past year, but I straightened it to check the progress a few weeks ago and my ends are ALL OVER THE PLACE lol.…

they’re going to have to take off somewhere around 3 inches, but it’ll grow out more healthily after that, so I guess it’s worth it.….

QuitaD
QuitaD

I am one of those scissor happy naturals. I cut at my hair all the time. If its getting too tangled at the ends then I just start cutting the ends of my twists off to help alleviate the problem. I don’t do this every time but if definitely helps. I am not afraid to cut it. I don’t exactly know how to cut my hair properly but I definitely cut something every 3 months.