what kind of natural are you?

Avatar • Sep 4, 2008

So, I was actually inspired to write this by my last entry, which featured a natural with a “punk” look.

I talked earlier about how all natural women are presumed to be neo-soul sistas, although there are actually lots of different categories.

There are, of course, the NEO-SOUL natural sistas. A lot of dreadlocks and sisterlocks here. A lot of African inspired jewelry, head bands, etc.
There are the FLY GIRL naturals (a lot of soror sisters and corporate women in this category 🙂 Hair is always really fly, real impeccable, and goes perfectly with outfit and jewelry.
There’s the PUNK natural. Rockin’ the fro-hawks and the crazy colors.
There’s the CLASSIC, CONSERVATIVE natural. Cornrows and twists are always really neat. No fuzz to be seen.
There’s the ROOTZY natural (thanks for the word Marissa!) Not afraid to rock the I’ve-never-taken-a-comb-to-my-head look.
There’s the GODDESS natural. She just has a whole lot of hair… like epic amounts of beautiful kinky/curly hair.
There’s the INTERNATIONAL natural. Natural haired women from Europe, Canada, Africa, the Caribbean…

These are just rough categories based on my untrained observations. My question is what kind of natural are you?

jenteel
jenteel

wow this is a great question!!!
i’m a bit of all
but i don’t go 2 hard on any front!

but if i had to pick 3(lol):
fly girl/caribbean/goddess

i’m only neo-soul w/some of the music and def thinking
but not w/ the clothing
and i do headwraps on occasion

i like the hair big
but not 2 funky
& i’m definitely not conservative anything!lol!

Black girl with long hair
Black girl with long hair

Yeh, you are definitely in ‘natural goddess territory’. i am a punk, wannabe goddess. i’d like to think of myself as a ‘natural goddess in training.’ i have the ‘tude down… now i just need the hair to go with it 🙂

Wildfiyah
Wildfiyah

To be honest, Leila, I just did the big chop yesterday (!!!), but I’d like to think of myself as an International Neo-Soul Fly Girl…or as I’d put it…a rootzy afro-jamerican glamazon 🙂

Anonymous
Anonymous

hey girl — this is an interesting post. I consider myself probably a classic/goddess natural, with a little bit of neo-soul in spurts..

I def agree with Sandra that there are few natural blogs and even less showcasing all types of natural hair styles and textures.. SO please dont let your voice fade 🙂

Much love,

Lina40

onemoore
onemoore

Peace and Blessings

I just came across this post and as a Gemini ‚this is a really tough question.
I think that on any given day I can be all of them depending on how much hair I have on my head.…lol

Great post 🙂

KurlyQue
KurlyQue

I’m def a Neo-Soul natural, blooming into a Goddess and topped with a lil Punk

Anonymous
Anonymous

I find this quite funny because I’m African but have lived in UK for a while. I don’t really understand what an ‘international’ category is because it has no definition except where I’m from (nothing about . I think that categorising myself in any form means that I am trying to fit a stereotype. Anyway, I could go on forever but I’ll stop here

cacey
cacey

erm i don’t think any of these fit me. the closest one would probly be the fly girl one but i dress down a lot…so that one probly doesn’t. hm. interesting. if i had to invent a category…i’d say i’m a Relaxed natural lol I just do whatever the minimum is to make sure my hair’s presentable in the hopes that it doesn’t take more than like…5 to 10 minutes or so of my time. And then i keep it moving, not worrying about frizz, and if it comes my way to an annoying degree, well, there’s nothing an elastic… Read more »